WELCOME SPRING!

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

~White Wednesday Proper~

It’s White Wednesday, brought to us by the lovely and Kathleen at www.fadedcharmedcottage.blogspot.com   Visit Kathleen and other White Wednesday participants if the color white makes your heart throb…and if it doesn’t!

It’s a week after Labor Day, but here in California, even though we had a good rain last Saturday, including thunder and lightening, we’re still experiencing very warm weather, and I’m still wearing white.  Every time I get dressed, though, I wonder if I’m out of style, so I decided to look up the proper etiquette for wearing white. This is what I found:

 

white_coat_nordstrom

The following article is courtesy of:

http://www.allthingsfantabulous.com/2009/09/white-after-labor-day.html

The new rules on wearing white after Labor Day:

1) Fabric matters- Summer fabrics must go. (Think linen or anything breezy). This is unequivocal. However, classic winter fabrics: wool, cashmere, angora are acceptable and often quite chic. Also, it's probably a good idea to move away from the really bright white. Winter white is there for a reason.

2) White outerwear is HOT as long as you keep it clean- I can personally attest to this. I had a white puffer coat with a faux fur hood that was absolutely darling; that is until it got dirty. Afterwards, not so much. There's nothing worse than dirty white. White outerwear needs routine maintenance so plan accordingly. However, if you find the right white coat-- Magic.

3) Nix the head-to-toe- white ensembles- White, when worn in the fall or winter, should be paired with traditional fall/winter colors to create balance. Rich greens, ambers etc. are great for fall, and of course, black brings instant sophistication.

4) White denim is now "in" year round- I know this one may scratch a few heads, but many fashion experts dig white denim after September, particularly when paired with boots and a nice plush sweater.

5) For the love of GOD, NO white legwear- Okay this one's mine. I once heard someone say that only two kinds of people should wear white hosiery, that's little girls and nurses. Truer words have never been spoken. Sorry.

6) At the end of the day, its really up to you. My mantra is that it's all about personal style. (That is, unless you are thinking about wearing white shoes (shoes, not boots)). That's where we absolutely must draw the line. :)

Ladies, what do you think ? White after Labor Day? Yeah or Nay?

 

God bless everyone, and God bless America, land that I love.   God bless our troops, their families, our government leaders, and those that are out of work. 

Please continue praying for all of our friends in blogland…there are many, some with very serious conditions and waiting for a miracle.

Mary

19 comments:

  1. I had to laugh while reading your post today! I am wearing a white jacket! But it does seem to fall into the "okay" for fall category! Having lived in the southwest for most of my life, we are a little more relaxed about clothing, but here in the south where I now reside, I think about the rules a little bit more before I break them! I enjoy your blog! Thanks! And I hope your granddaughter is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary. You are right I think about wearing white in and after September. White doesn't seem to look nice any more. Tan fades away and another softer colour is nicer. When you live in a country where it is hot till far into fall I think it will be different. But who am I. LOL. I better get my white jacket picture of this blog. :)))
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary, this post was great. Very unique and simple, I love it. I need to change my style. This would be great, white with an acsent color.
    Thanks for looking it up, I would never think to do that. YOu must be younger then me.

    cindy@stitches

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, oh you do have wonderful post, I love this one....there was a time that it was in bad taste to wear white before May 21 or after Sept. 1st, I use to follow that rule but now I go with what the weather is like, what is comfortable and what is clean.....have a wonderful day......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post, my favorite winter white item is a pair of winter white wool pants...I wear them all the time along with a winter white knit sweater that I can dress up with colorful scarves or big bold jewelery....PS I also have a pair of winter white boots to wear with them, tried black shoes and that looked terrible together the other best color with the winter white pants is a soft doe skin color pair of loafers..
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a fun post! But I have to say ~ the critters on the farm here don't really care what color I'm wearing as long as I feed them! And, if I were to wear white (the last time was when I got married, I think! 1972!) it would end up being the dreaded "dirty white". So I will just stick with my favorite faded blue jeans and a T-shirt. Safe any time of year! ;~}
    Autumn Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments. I always smile when i see you have visited. This is a very interesting post. I'm sure that it has more interest for women than men.LOL I don't think I'm a "clod" when it comes to caring about how I look and dress. But I have never paid much attention to "rules" about what is proper. I always wonder who and by what authority are these rules made. ....Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mary

    I agree with you be an individual, wear it if you're comfortable in it is what I say. I have a tendency to wear a lot of black - it hides many flaws:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I sit here writing you a comment, I realize I'm in WHITE SHORTS! Guess I don't really have a clue when it come to the proper thingy...I were white in CA all year long. I just change from short to long, (sleeves, pants) I think it's all about comfort for me! Fun post, Mary. Well, that's one gal's opinion...siging off for now...
    My Best,
    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the material is the guiding thing when it comes to wearing white after Labor day. I have a white linen jacket that I will not wear after LD, if it were a nappy material I probably would.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh if only I could wear white ... a few more years and then the little hands that ultimately smudge every white thing I used to own will be grown and I can wear white again. But then again, those fingerprints are priceless. I'm not fussing about white :)

    Blessings for your day,
    Sarah Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that coat woow. I would like to get one, there is something pure about the color white, no matter what day of the year it is, I generally don't care what others think and tend to wear what I like most :0) I love your post it was wonderful. Blessings to you and your family I hope this week is finding you well.

    Thank you for stopping by, and your kind words, I hope Gods purpose for me to be here is to definately make an impact on someones life. I think spreading the word on the Lord and just trying to lead a wonderful Christian life, will change someone along the way, even if it's only me it changes. Your to kind. Thank you

    Blessings,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always leave me the sweetest comments, THANK YOU and here in FL it always feels like Summer, LOL,I wish I could wear one of those beautiful jackets!
    Hugs~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never followed that rule...glad to see the rest of the world is coming around. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wear white shoes and purse only from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I have a pair of white slacks, but I feel like a nurse when I wear them, so I only wear them a couple times all summer. I think they need to go to Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I should safe this post to learn all the rules. I've never been good at following the rules. I guess I'm lucky that I don't own any white shoes.
    Thank-you so much for the link to the web page for the teapots. I bookmarked it because there were so many wonderful things.
    Maybe we will be blessed to have you post on Spiritual Sunday this week.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I am always delighted to "meet" a new blogger to me.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm afraid I have failed miserably, I wore white pants and white sandals today!! We are in Florida and it's still a necessity! LOL!

    Neat post!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mary,
    This is Lee at All Things Fantabulous. Nice you posted my blog (and credited me). I wish I had gotten as many comments as you did. :) I could use a few of your followers. This is a really nice blog. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete